So you’re a handyman. You offer a myriad of services, such as repairing homes, installing new appliances, as well as deck building. However, you may not have the time you need in order to take care of administrative tasks. Invoicing is one such administrative task that you may find difficult to handle. Despite this, you need to ensure that you get paid on time and in full. You can easily do this by customizing your invoice using software such as Word, Google Docs, Excel, and more. You can also make use of the time you don’t have to invoice, to make extra revenue.
What Are The Different Kinds of Invoices That Handymen Should Know About?
When you choose to work as a handyman, then you can end up making invoices for various kinds of work. Here are some of the kinds of invoices that you may find yourself making:
Invoices for Handyman Services
This invoice applies to all the kinds of home repair problems that you may need to deal with. Create Invoices for all kinds of services that clients invite you to their homes for.
The kind of invoice you create for appliance repair should be different as well. Your customers can call you to repair their refrigerators, washing machines, and even dishwashers.
Have a separate invoice template ready for rush services as well. You may be called in to do emergency work from time to time. These could include fixing a shower that is leaky or a door that is damaged. In these cases, you would need to go in to work immediately. Since you are promptly responding to the customer’s request for fast service, you deserve to be compensated for that as well.
A rush services invoice template can help ensure that you get paid for your emergency work in full.
Handymen can also be called in by corporations and businesses, to deal with problems in their buildings. If you keep an invoice ready for corporate jobs, then this can help you get paid in the future.
Some handymen also offer services related to plumbing as well as electrical work. These tend to fall under the category of specialty services. An example of this would be to work in a field related to cabinet making. Keep aside a separate invoice format for such specialty services, in order to ensure that you get paid.
Why Should Handymen Send Proper Invoices?
Any time you find work in either a home or a business, the job may end up entailing different things. This is as handymen offer a myriad of services and can find themselves doing different kinds of work from day to day. One day you can find yourself doing work on an electrical system, and the next day you may have to paint different surfaces.
This is why it’s necessary for handymen to have invoices that are flexible. These invoices should be able to properly detail all the work that you’re doing. It should also mention what associated costs are when it comes to the different jobs that you do. Consider also ensuring that your invoice is easy for customers to understand as well. That way, they know what they’re paying for, and are less likely to have problems with the invoice.
Handymen primarily need to know how to be great at their work. But aside from this, they also need to ensure that they provide quality customer service as well. When the invoice you send looks polished as well as professional, then this can reflect well on your handyman business as well.
If you’re working as a handyman, then you should also consider handyman liability insurance. This is because your career leaves you vulnerable to certain risks, such as getting sued by a client. With handyman liability insurance you can protect both your career and your finances. If you want to learn more about handyman liability insurance, then
What Should You Include In Your Invoice?
Handymen may find themselves having to do work that is time-consuming. These could be painting a home or even fixing a staircase that is broken. The invoice you create needs to be able to properly showcase the skills as well as the expertise you need to display in each job.
Here is what you should consider including in your invoice:
- The name of your business, as well as accurate contact details. Your business address, contact number as well as business email should be clearly written on your invoice.
- If you have a business logo, or a company website, then add those as well. You can also think about adding graphics that pertain to your job.
- The name, as well as contact information of the customer, should be clearly written in the invoice as well.
- You should also think about providing an invoice number that is unique.
- The date the invoice was sent should be clearly mentioned, as well as when the payment is due.
- You can also think about providing a list of all the handyman services that you offer. Provide descriptions as well, alongside what your hourly charge is.
- Also mention the materials as well as supplies that will need to be paid for by the customer. Provide descriptions associated with these costs as well.
- Some handymen offer services related to plumbing, repairing appliances, as well as working on the renovation. Provide details of such services.
- You may also be offering discounts, say for a large volume of work. In this case, provide a line in the invoice that clearly mentions what kinds of discounts are provided.
- What is the total price that the customer needs to pay when you take into account taxes as well?
- What are your payment terms, and what kinds of payments do you accept.
- You can also add a personal note at the end to ask customers to provide referrals.
Use this guide to learn all about what kind of invoices you should send as a handyman.